BIG MAGIC REVIEW // HOW A BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE

06:58


I've been preparing myself to write this post since I started the book and I just kept putting it off. I think the reason I've found it so hard to write is because I want to do it justice. I NEED to do it justice.


I really, really resonated with this book. More than I think any book I've ever read has been able to relate to my life. But, not only my life, but my internal monologue, my thoughts, and my worries. It's like a part of me wrote this book and it sounds so cheesy but it's very true.


Big Magic has been on my Twitter and Instagram radar for months now so I know there are so many other people out there loving this book as much as I do. But there needs to be more, it needs to be broadcasted to everyone just how amazing the book actually is.





I had read Eat, Pray, Love years ago and fell in love Elizabeth Gilbert's writing. There was so much to admire about her life and also so many lessons to learn from. I remember setting the book down and thinking about my own journey's in life, and where the future might take me.




When I saw she had written Big Magic I never could have expected that it would touch me as much as it did. I was underlining entire sections, starring passages, and literally saying "yes" out loud when I read something especially inspiring.

And that is exactly how I felt once I put the book down. Inspired.




I am someone who has let fear dictate so much of their life. Have I done brave things? Yeah, absolutely. But there is always that underlying fear, the hesitation, the doubt that creeps over me and holds me back in an instant.

But that's what creativity is. That is what living a creative life is about. To put it in Gilbert's words "creativity asks you to enter into realms of uncertain outcome."




I am so beyond happy to have read this book at this point in my life, I really can't express that enough. There is SO MUCH uncertainty about my future. There is SO MUCH I should be fearful for. And there is SO MUCH creative opportunity out there.


And because I can't seem to quote the book enough here's another gem, "I don't want to be afraid of bright colors, or new sounds, or big love, or risky decisions, or strange experiences, or weird endeavors, or sudden changes or even failure."




I feel free after reading these words because finally someone said exactly what I needed to hear. And I don't think you need to necessarily be "creative" (in terms of the typical definition of creative) to find light from this book.


I think if you are someone questioning your purpose, finding meaning in your day-to-day life, feeling depressed or anxious then this book is for you.




Have I sold you on it yet? If not then I dare you to go out on a limb and read it. I can almost guarantee that you will find your own special message within these pages. You'll learn something about someone you know or HECK you'll even laugh at some of her numerous hilariously real stories.


But do yourself the biggest favor in the world and read it. And then come back and let me know what you think ;)



You Might Also Like

0 comments

INSTAGRAM